Ruskin School Uniform
The wearing of uniform by students contributes greatly to the general orderly atmosphere and discipline within the school.
At Ruskin we insist on high standards and students must have the correct uniform.
- – Only plain small ear studs are allowed – one in each ear lobe.
- – Facial/body piercings, rings, necklaces and bracelets are not allowed.
- – Only hair colours which are natural are allowed (no bright reds or other vibrant colours, no dip dye).
- – No sculptured haircuts, including lines, marks or patterns, are allowed and hair length must be at least a Grade 2. Also:
- – No shaved heads which expose a tiny amount of hair (eg Grade 1 all over).
- – No shaved heads with a mop of long hair on top (eg Grade 1 lower and long hair on top).
- – Students must not shave their eyebrows in any form.
- – Long hair must be tied back during practical lessons.
- – Make up must be subtle. Excessive eyeliner, eye shadow, lipstick or mascara is not allowed.
- – The wearing of all headgear is not allowed, unless it is of a religious nature. In such cases it should be no longer than shoulder length, navy blue or black and understated.
- – The school has strict guidelines as to the length of the school skirt. A student will receive 2 offical warnings regarding the length being too short. If the policy is not adhered to after these warnings the student will only be allowed to wear trousers for the rest of the academic year.
Please ensure all items are clearly marked with your child’s name.
|Please Wear||Please Don't Wear|
|*School badged blazer|
|*Charcoal grey, school style trousers (available from UD2U or local store) *Charcoal grey skirt – straight or pleated (only available from UD2U)||Hipsters, jean-style, tight or casual trousers, or leggings. Trousers must be school style and not made of a stretchy lycra fabric|
|A white school shirt which buttons to the neck||Open neck shirts, or shirts without a top button|
|*A school tie|
|A plain, navy v-neck jumper, with or without sleeves in a knitted fabric and of a suitable length to be worn with school blazer||Sweatshirt style, hooded, zips or buttons, cardigans. Black jumpers are not allowed. Round neck jumpers are not allowed.|
|Black, school style shoes||Boots, heels, trainers, pumps, footwear with logos or steel caps|
|Black socks (girls may wear plain black tights non see-through style)||Coloured, patterned or bright socks|
|A white craft apron|
PLEASE NOTE: all items of uniform marked with an * can only be purchased through our uniform supplier: National Schoolwear Centre. Further information and an order form can be found at the end of this page.
- Students need to be properly equipped with: pen, pencil, ruler, rubber, pair of compasses and a protractor. Asking to borrow equipment from school is not good training for personal organisation.
- Calculators are probably best purchased from school during the first half-term when the Maths Department has access to cheaper supplies.
Ruskin PE Kit – Indoor PE Kit List
|*Ruskin navy blue polo shirt||*Ruskin navy blue polo shirt|
|Plain navy blue shorts||Plain navy blue shorts or PE skort|
Ruskin PE Kit – Outdoor Games PE Kit List
|*Ruskin navy blue polo shirt||*Ruskin navy blue polo shirt|
|Plain navy blue shorts (not fitted)||Plain navy blue shorts (not fitted) or PE skort. Optional: 3/4 leggings – must be worn under shorts or skort|
|Football boots and shin pads||Football boots and shin pads|
|Navy football socks (available from the PE Department)||Navy football socks (available from the PE Department)|
– Navy blue/black thermal layers (skins) for both upper and lower body – optional
– Please note that all students taking part in football will be required to wear shin pads
– Please note that all students taking part in rugby and/ or hockey will be required to wear a gum
– Students should bring a bottle for water
All footwear should be of the correct size and correctly tied to ensure support of the ankles. As fashion evolves, there are often items of casual or leisure footwear on the market that have the appearance of trainers which may not be suitable for PE activities. It is important that students wear the appropriate footwear and it has the required specification and provides the necessary support for safe participation.
– Students must tie back hair that falls below the jawline.
– No jewellery is to be worn during PE.
– If you believe your Son/Daughter needs to wear alternative garments for PE, please contact a member of the PE department to discuss.
– Please ensure all items are clearly marked with your child’s name.
Ruskin Second-hand Uniform – ALL donations greatly welcomed!
We hold a small stock of second-hand uniform kindly donated by parents. If for any reason you require replacement uniform ie an item has been lost or damaged beyond repair, and, it is too expensive to replace at the present time, please do not hesitate to contact the School Office (Ms Jones) to see if we can help in anyway.
Also, we are now working alongside Motherwell Cheshire, a charitable organisation who provide second-hand uniform. If Ruskin cannot help, please pay them a visit at 54 – 56 Beech Drive, Wistaston, Crewe, CW2 8RG or visit their website for further information: https://motherwellcheshirecio.com/
Ruskin Community High School Uniform (from 1st October, 2021)
Uniform is important to us at Ruskin. We want every student to gain professional employment in the future and a smart uniform instils this. Our uniform is exceptionally good value; we don’t expect our parents to pay high prices. The main items of uniform are obtained via National Schoolwear Centres, 99-101 Stafford Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent,ST1 1LS. For further information, please see the uniform order form below.
Please note: uniform orders can be delivered to school for your collection at no extra cost. The additional £5 fee is only charged if delivered to your home address.
Telephone: 01782 272991
Please note: The National Schoolwear Centre does not have a website
Please view Wynsor Shoes “Back to School Catalogue (750KB, PDF)” or more information can be found at Wynsors World of Shoes.